Layout Image

Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Roar before the 24

Coop
Pro
Re: Roar before the 24
on: Jan 19, 03:31 pm

Superb write ups gents!

I had a blast driving my two stints and spotting for others. I think it's amazing that we could pull this whole thing together in less than a week and put in the kind of laps that got us in the top ten. You are all a bunch a great guys who's commitment to team work is fantastic. Just think what we can pull off when the official race happens in a couple weeks! I'm sure we will do great if this test is any indication of what we are all capable of doing. The consistency of pace was downright tremendous! Well done!

Big thanks to Alex and Jeremy for being great spotters in lieu of driving!

If you don't go for it at every corner of every lap, what's the point?!

redrobin34-
Pro
on: Jan 20, 03:13 pm

Good read regarding the test event.

http://www.motorsport.com/general/news/endurance-racing-is-hard-even-on-iracing

ldsisold
Pro
on: Jan 20, 04:04 pm

Here's a shot of the data I was talking about last night. A little slippage (2-4%) will give the maximum grip the tire has to offer. We are close! I also see no wheel slippage under full throttle anywhere in the lap. Could try with 1 or 2 clicks less TC and see what happens. Based on a straight (actually banking and the infield straights)you have 15,764 feet or 2.985 miles. If you average 2 mph higher in that length you will reduce lap time by 1.4 seconds.

redrobin34-
Pro
on: Jan 20, 05:44 pm

Larry, that is some great data. Our times would be right there with the fast guys if our overall top speed on the banking was just a few mph faster. That is very interesting. Basically we have to find another second in the infield and bus stop? I'm having a hard time seeing that happening.

Maybe we can test with 1 click less of rear wing to see how that works? Not sure if we'll gain an extra mph by doing that or not. Worth a test, eh? Also interested in seeing how the car would perform on a long run with less wing. I'll get to testing after tomorrow. I'll also see if it is possible to get a bit better rotation with the car. Though that may very well cause some handling issues.

Worth testing since we know we already have a stable setup in the barn.

Coop
Pro
on: Jan 20, 06:14 pm

I am happy to explore a set up change to get more time out of the car. Less wing might help, we shall see.

ldsisold
Pro
on: Jan 20, 06:17 pm

Just realized ... the spikes you see in the brake pressure plot (Bottom) is the ABS working. Not sure if reducing the ABS (set at 8 in team setup) would help anything but I rather doubt it. The TC is set at 3 but I don't see evidence of it working and I never heard it like you do in the Z4.

Coop
Pro
on: Jan 20, 06:29 pm

Traction control works well in the MP4, it helps a fair bit in keeping the back end from swapping around on full throttle exits. Won't hurt to try little to no TC and see how drivable that is.

ldsisold
Pro
on: Jan 20, 06:31 pm

Here is Turn 1 blown up so you can see the ABS working. I looked at the engine data in this same view and can see nothing to indicate TC working ... rpm lines look smooth.

Coop
Pro
on: Jan 20, 06:35 pm

I guess the data don't lie.

E46Envy-
(Russ)
Pro
on: Jan 20, 06:59 pm

Just a thought... What about lowering diff preload? That helps with off throttle rotation. This could help the first hairpin and gain some time.

E46Envy-
(Russ)
Pro
on: Jan 20, 08:45 pm

This evening I tested a few of our theories, but I don't have any data to support my findings other than lap times and seat of pants feeling. I started with our full fuel setup and I lowered the TC to 2 and the car was still as easy to drive around and didn't have any issues with loss of grip in 10 laps, lowest lap time was 147.780. I then lowered the rear wing 1 click and the car "felt" as if it made it to it's top speed faster and the top speed went to 164mph at the start finish line and the lowest lap time was then 1:47.422. I then lowered the front ARB 1 click for a bit more front bite and it felt a little better, especially through the bus stop, and the lowest lap time was 1:47.268.

I look forward to others testing these changes.

redrobin34-
Pro
on: Jan 20, 09:21 pm

Funny, Russ and I tested the same settings. With rear wing down 1 click, TC at 2 and ARB set at 1 I was able to get into the 46's for 6 straight laps with a best of 1:46.800.

Needs to be tested on a long run. TC can always be adjusted during the stint if the rear gets loose. Will have to see.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6